Get pumped, moms: McAlister’s Deli is headed to Des Moines!
McAlister’s is a fast-casual restaurant known for its variety of tasty deli menu options (with large portions!), welcoming environment, Famous Sweet Tea, and my personal fave: $1.99 Kids Meals.
When Iowa got its first McAlister’s Deli last October, located in West Des Moines off Mills Civic Parkway, my southern friends who were well-acquainted with the brand couldn’t recommend the restaurant enough. (McAlister’s Deli has more than 400 restaurants in 28 states. It originated in Mississippi in 1989.)
I soon became a McAlister’s fan myself. Dining out can be a bit of an adventure with our four young kids, but my experience at the West Des Moines McAlister’s has always been great (clean, great portions, helpful staff, family-friendly atmosphere). I’m excited that they’re opening a location in Des Moines, just a few miles from my house.
The McAlister’s Grand Opening here in Des Moines is Friday, June 29th!
- Hours of Operation: 10:30 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Restaurant Address: 5910 Douglas Ave. Suite 200 Des Moines, IA 50322 (Near Merle Hay Mall and the Merle Hay Target!)
Enjoying a dinner out as a family of six can get pricey quick, but McAlister’s $1.99 Dine-In Kids Meals (all day, every day) provides affordable healthful options. (I’m pretty sure $1.99 is less than a grab-and-go Lunchable from the grocery store — and so much better!)
The colorful, fresh ingredients McAlister’s uses on their kids meals are the same ingredients used on the adult’s menu. McAlister’s believes spending time together shouldn’t come at a high cost, so they offer $1.99 kids meals when you dine-in.
My Honest Mom Experience at McAlister’s
Exhausted from running errands and running low on fumes, I stopped by the West Des Moines’ McAlister’s for lunch a few months ago. Two of my toddlers needed high chairs, and I had my rambunctious preschooler in tow, too.
McAlister’s team members immediately retrieved high chairs for me and helped me grab a table big enough for my crew. They never rolled their eyes at our mess and were super kind about the clanking spoons and clamoring kids.
My boys were content with the crayons and coloring pages provided, and when the food arrived, the staff quickly and attentively brought it out to our table and were happy to help with refills, extra napkins, accidental spills, etc. Welcoming and serving the families in their community is a priority for McAlister’s, and it shows.
McAlister’s has seven entrees offered for kids 12 and under on their kids menu, and each entrée comes with its choice of side.
McAlister’s Deli seven kids meals entrées include:
- ROLL-UPS: Smoked turkey, Black Forest ham, or Grilled Chicken strips with all natural cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomatoes rolled in a wheat wrap. Choice of Ranch or Honey Mustard as a dipping sauce.
- KIDS SPUD: A genuine Idaho potato served with butter. Choice of cheddar-jack cheese, bacon, and sour cream as toppings.
- CHICKEN & BROCCOLI BOWL: Grilled chicken strips tossed with fresh steamed broccoli and cheddar-jack cheese.
- FRENCH BREAD PIZZA: Crunchy French bread topped with tomato sauce and cheddar-jack cheese.
- MAC & CHEESE: Elbow macaroni noodles with creamy cheddar, American, and Neufchatel cheeses topped with cheddar-jack cheese.
- KIDS McA89 SALAD: Crisp cucumbers, tomatoes, and croutons served over fresh greens. Choice of dressing and protein: Turkey, Ham, Chicken.
- TOASTED CHEESE SANDWICH: All natural cheddar cheese on toasted wheat bread.
Getting kids to consume healthy foods can be challenging. McAlister’s is combatting that narrative with its kids menu that offers flavorful, creative menu items.
Sides are mom-approved and kid-approved, too.
Your kids can pick from: Steamed Veggies, Potato Salad, Fresh Fruit, Apple Sauce, Chips, Mac & Cheese, or Mashed Potatoes.
Mom Tip: If you’re in a time-crunch and want to take the food to go, the Take-Out Kids Meals are $2.99. Beverages are $1.49 and feature McAlister’s Famous Tea, pure cane sugar lemonade, foundation drinks, Horizon Organic Milk and Chocolate Milk, and Honest Kids Organic Apple Juice. (And, of course, water is free!)
I honestly recommend McAlister’s to my friends.
I’ve always had great food and great service, and my whole family can dine-in at an affordable price point. BRB, fetching myself one of those giant iced teas. (The peach flavor is my fave!)Connect with McAlister’s: