Summertime is full of fun activities for you and your family. Whether you’re spending the last few weeks hanging out at the pool or gearing up for fall sports, you have your hands (and calendar) full.
Unfortunately, illnesses, accidents, and injuries have a way of happening when you least expect them. The good news is urgent care is a quick and affordable option for handling those unexpected medical problems that require immediate attention, but aren’t life-threatening.
Why choose UnityPoint Urgent Care
Urgent care helps families receive care when they need it by alleviating some of the demand for emergency rooms, so they can handle emergencies, such as critical injuries and illness. You receive the same level of high-quality medical care by going to an urgent care clinic, but without the added wait time you may have if you choose the ER that takes in emergent and life-threatening medical situations. Here are some other benefits for choosing urgent care:
- More affordable: Insurance co-payments are usually lower for urgent care than for ER visits.
- Convenient/walk-in care: No appointment is necessary.
- After hours, weekend and holiday hours: When your primary care clinic is closed and you need an option to see someone quickly.
- Reserve your spot: You can reserve your seat to save some time in the waiting room by visiting unitypoint.org/urgentcare
When to use Urgent Care
In most situations, the best option for care is to contact your primary care provider. If his/her office is closed and you need to see someone soon, you can visit urgent care for a variety of conditions. The doctors and nurses at urgent care are able to treat a variety needs, including:
- Coughs, colds, and sore throats
- Fever and flu
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Earaches and ear infections
- Breathing difficulties (mild to moderate asthma)
- Allergic reactions, pinkeye, and styes
- Minor burns and skin infections or rashes
- Sprains, strains, and minor broken bones
- Minor cuts
Where to find Urgent Care
UnityPoint Clinic has five convenient locations throughout the Des Moines metro area with two more opening in the fall of 2017.
- Lakeview- West Des Moines
- Merle Hay – Des Moines
- Southglen – Des Moines
- Ingersoll – coming Fall 2017
- Altoona – coming Fall 2017
To see an estimate of the number of patients waiting at each clinic or to reserve your spot, visit unitypoint.org/urgentcare.