It’s apple picking season in Iowa! Picking apples and fall go hand in hand. Whether you want to fill a bushel of apples you pick yourself or prefer to buy apples someone else picked, Des Moines and Central Iowa have plenty of apple orchards to choose from. The apples are ripe, it’s time to start picking!
Looking for pumpkins? Check out our pumpkin patch guide.
62785 280th Street, Nevada
Open: Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Closed on Sunday
- Gala, Ruby Jon, Mollies Delicious, Honeycrisp, earligold apples to pick
- U-pick apples or picked for you
- baked goods
32835 610th Avenue, Cambridge
Check the website for which apple varieties are ready to be picked
- 20-acre orchard with 34 apple varieties
- u-pick apples and pumpkins or purchase in the Country Store
1348 295th Street, Montour
Opens: September 10
Week days: 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Weekends: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Pick your own apples
- Cider Day in October
13140 NW 102nd Avenue in Granger on the South side of Highway 141
Open: daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Check their Facebook page for availability
- 14 varieties of apples
- pick by the peck or bushel
5987 NE 88th Street, Altoona
Open: Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- natural growing practices
- U-pick apples and already picked
- pumpkin patch, pick in the field
- pumpkin patch – already gathered from the field
- honey from hives on the farm
- cider mill (fresh apple cider made on the premises)
33130 Panther Creek Road, Adel
Open September 22 – October 21, Saturdays 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sundays noon to 6 p.m.
Follow their Facebook page for details on which apples are ripe
- Organic apples in 12 varieties
- apple cider donuts
- pre-picked apples
- pick-your-own apples
We work hard to ensure the accuracy of this information. However, you should always call ahead to confirm dates, times, location, and other information before heading to an event or activity, since it may change.